The 10th Annual Goals for Giving Benefit will be held on Sunday, March 23, 2014. Bring your family and watch your local hero’s the Philadelphia Alumni play against the NHS Blues at the SkateZone in Northeast Philadelphia start time 1:30PM. All proceeds benefit NHS Human Service Foundation.
Visit the website for more information
1/2 lb Brussels Sprouts
1/4 lb Grape Tomatoes
3 Tbsp. Pignoli Nuts
2 Large Garlic Cloves
1 1/2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
1 Tbsp. Virgin Olive Oil
- Trim Brussels sprouts and halve lengthwise. Cut garlic into very think slices. In a 10 inch heavy skillet (preferably well-seasoned cast iron) melt 1 tablespoon butter with oil over moderate heat and cook garlic, stirring, until pale golden.
- Transfer garlic with a slotted spoon to a small bowl. Reduce heat to low and arrange sprouts in skillet, cut sides down, in one layer. Cook sprouts, without turning, until crisp-tender and undersides are golden brown (about 15 minutes)
- With tongs transfer sprouts to a plate, browned sides up. Add grape tomatoes to hot oil and brown in skillet (1 minute) then transfer to plate with sprouts.
- Add pignoli nuts, garlic and remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to skillet. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until Pignoli nuts are evenly pale golden (1 minute)
- Spoon mixture over sprouts and tomatoes, sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
Lintons Managed Services’ Community Works Program was established to provide employment opportunities, training and develop job readiness skills for Consumers, Clients and Program Residents of facilities serviced by Lintons Managed Services.
Lintons is entering its 12th year of the Community Works Program. Currently there are more than 50 individuals involved in the program. Lintons facilities that take part in the program are the Montco Meal Service Center, Delco Meal Service Center, The Woodhaven Center, NHS Northwestern Academy, North Central Secure Treatment Unit, The Gateway Foundation, NHS Allegheny Valley School Pittsburgh Campus, The Pathway School, Riverview Home, Valley Forge Educational Services and the Corporate Office.
The community works programs vary at each location. Our newest community works program comes out of The Woodhaven Center. In addition to their on-staff community workers, the center has expanded its day program center. Lintons has built a serving area providing hot lunches to approximately 93 clients in their classrooms. Community Works Associates from NHS assist in the meal service program. The program has been a great success since its rollout on July 29th, 2013.
This school year Delco MSC and Montco MSC each have five to six students from Valley Forge Educational Services assist every week to help with different tasks. Their duties include assisting with packaging of products for our Group Home delivery programs.
Some exciting news! Gerard Hasson, community works associate at Montco MSC and graduate of Valley Forge Educational Services attended The Special Olympics in Johnstown, Pa. on February 9th thru the 11th. Gerard participated in the downhill alpine skiing event. Gerard has been involved in The Special Olympics for approximately 8 years. He recently won two silver medals and one gold medal in the county games. Gerard is also involved in Special Olympics golf in the summer where he plays Coach/Partner golf with his partner Joan Mattiola. Gerard enjoys the competition which has brought him much happiness and success. Gerard is looking forward to the state winter games in Johnstown and we wish him the best of luck!! Bring home the medals Gerard!!!
The USA Rice Federation sponsors an annual “Healthy Brown Rice on the Menu Contest” for school foodservice directors across the country to share their ideas and success stories for serving healthy meals for school lunch.
This year’s entries were creative, inspiring and showcased brown rice’s versatility in multiple menu applications including breakfast, salads, stir-fries, hot entrées and casseroles.
Ellie Frazier of Northwood Academy Charter School in PA was awared Honorable Mention for her Brown Rice-Stuffed Apples.